A quick update
So, it’s been a while since my last blog post, and I haven’t really been keeping up. A lot has happened in the last few weeks, which has kept me busy, so thought I would give a quick update on where things are right now in my life.
Work has been keeping me pretty busy. I’m close to finishing the first half of my practical training, and am slowly starting on the second half. Upon completion of both parts, I will be ready to do the final phase of my training in Borden Ontario. I still have lots of time to complete it though, as I won’t be going to Borden until next October, so I can take my time with the prerequisite training.
I also had the opportunity to go on an exercise up in Yellowknife NWT. The purpose of the exercise was the validate the CAF’s plan to respond to a major air disaster (such as a plane crash). I was one of 40 or so individuals playing the part of casualties, providing training for Search and Rescue Technicians (SAR Techs) who did the initial first aid and transported them to a medical facility, where Med Techs provided additional treatment. It was an absolute blast, spending 3 days in Yellowknife (and a good 3-4 days getting to and from Yellowknife, because of the timing of service flights).
A picture from the last day. I had a possible spinal injury and a burn to the face. The picture does look … uncomfortable, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as it looks, though that’s probably just me. And yes, I was briefly duct-taped up as well.
After coming back, it’s taken a couple of weeks to adjust back to normal life. During that time, I finally got my Ontario Outdoors card and Small game hunting license, and am in the process of applying for a Falconry apprentice license. It’s coming together and if all goes well, I should be starting my apprenticeship officially in January, when my sponsor will be available to help train me. I did also visit Muskoka Birds of Prey, a falconry centre near Barrie. As it turns out, the bird I will be working with for my apprenticeship lives there, and will be re-trained by my sponsor, so I had the opportunity of meeting the bird. He was quite the handsome ferruginous hawk, and I am very excited to work more with him!
I’ve made a bit of headway with my Minecraft mod too. The design document is at the point where I can start adding in items and blocks in the simplest form, then add more complex functionality such as tile entities, multiblocks, etc. Texturing and models can be made as I hit various checkpoints in the roadmap. As I progress, I’ll have to incorporate all of the features I want to implement gradually. I can then focus on the planetary dimensions (I want to be able to create them in a way that doesn’t require much code, by using json definitions for the planets, for instance). Just Enough Dimensions might be a source of inspiration for that, as it’s similar to what I want to do. I also want to add an in-game manual that takes its content from a github repository, which I can then use to display the exact same content on a website. 2 birds with 1 stone.
Other less important things to accomplish: create a logo, develop a website (with a roadmap initially, tracking development progress) for the mod.
There’s still quite a lot of work to do, so I will keep posting fairly regular updates as I make progress.